A prune a day, could keep the doctor away?
That’s right! Prunes are wrinkly, crinkly, and filled with nutrition! Although prunes may have a bad rap for being associated with “old age” and all the irregularities that come with it, they are actually a powerhouse fruit! To help get over the hunch, prunes have been renamed Dried Plums, and who doesn’t love a good plum? I know I sure do. Prunes have a variety of benefits that can ensure healthful and nutritious diets. Some of the benefits that many people don’t realize about these wrinkly delicious fruits include fiber, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, and more. With all of these factors combined they can help promote bone health, improved digestion, blood sugar control, cholesterol management, and even WRINKLES (how ironic, right?). With all of this together, prunes are truly the whole package. So if you’re looking to improve your over all health and nutrition, get yourself a package of Hill View’s delicious dried plums, and start improving your health today!
Fun Dried Plum Facts!
The California Dried Plum Board (2018) provides many fun and interesting facts regarding dried plums. Here are some of them:
- The Petite d'Agen plum came from Southwest France to CA during the Gold Rush
- 99 % of the U.S. supply and 40% of worlds supply are produced in California!
- 1 prune plum tree can produce up to 300 lbs. of fruit!
- It takes 3 lbs. of fresh fruit to make 1 lb. of dried plums!
- Farming is tech savvy! We use technology to check wind speed, air temperatures, and to let us know when to irrigate.
- August is typically the time to harvest the sweetest dried plums
- A tree needs 8-10 years in the ground before it reaches full production capacity
- Dried plum purée could serve as a fat substitute in baking
Visit https://www.californiadriedplums.org/ for more information regarding California Dried Plums!
2018 California Dried Plum Board